Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Being Meagan.

How often do we let our regrets control our lives?

There is a new TV series on SOAPnet call Being Erica. The show is about 32 year old Erica who has nothing but regrets about her past. One day she meets Dr. Tom, a mysterious therapist who takes her back in time to do over those life-defining moments with the foresight and wisdom of seeing how they played out. Erica allows all of those regrets to impact her entire life. She views her life as mediocre because she can't let go of the past. So Dr. Tom allows her to go back in time to those moments that she regrets the most so she can change the outcome to see if that moment was really that big of a deal.

I've only seen two episodes of the show so I can't really give you a good review of it but just watching them today really made me think. Are those moments in our lives that we regret really a big enough deal to still regret them today?

I've lived my life with alot of regret and missed opportunities. Or at least I thought so. Today I sat and looked back at those moments that still make my stomach turn and wondered what would have been different. And would I like the difference?

Over the past 8 months or so I've realized that although I do have some regrets, all of those mistakes have made me the person I am today. All of those experiences-good or bad- turned me into the person that I am right now. And for the first time in my life I actually kinda like the person I am today. Because although I have that past, it's helped me find out that I don't have to have that same future.

I can honestly say I have learned a lesson from every single mistake I have made. Whether it be small or huge. And I also realized that half of the things I've held onto for so long really aren't that big of a deal. I don't want to hold on to those regrets and think of my life as mediocre. I want to live an extraordinary life with opportunities and positivity.

So if I learned a lesson from those mistakes, should I really regret them?